The Dynamics of Monasticism
This item is in stock and will be dispatched within 48 hours.
More than 50 units in stock.
Oneness considers the role monastic life plays within the life of the contemporary church.
Using a focus on the life, practice and history of the Shepherds Law community as a starting point, the book broadens the discussion to consider how such communities negotiate the boundary between the solitary life and life within their community.
With a foreword from Justin Welby and an afterword from Rowan Williams.
Foreword by Archbishop Justin Welby
Prologue by Diarmaid MacCulloch
Part 1: Setting the Scene
Introduction - Stephen Platten
1. Religious Communities and Their Citizenship - George Guiver
2. Northumbria's Long Tradition - Sarah Foot
3. Father William's Baton - Peta Dunstan
4. Shepherds Law: The Story so Far - Stephen Platten
Part 2: Unfolding the Mystery
5. The Skete - Andrew Louth
6. Francis of Assisi: A Hermit and His Hermitages - Brother Nicholas Alan Worssam SSF
7. The Monastic Sacrament in Life, Liturgy, Saints and Buildings - George Guiver
8. Gregorian Chant and Monastic Life - Dom Xavier Perrin OSB
9. Monastic Architecture and the Building of Shepherds Law: Monastic Life and Architecture - Christopher Irvine and Ralph Pattison
10. Waiting While Running - George Guiver
Afterword by Rowan Williams
"This is an informative and exciting book which explains why sacred places such as Shepherd's Law are sacred - and why they continue to be sorely needed as an oasis in our world, where one can encounter God in the peace and silence." -- Brother Benedict SSF, Provincial Minister, Society of Saint Francis
'In an age of anger and conspicuous consumption, many now hunger for serenity and simplicity. In our climates of fear and fanaticism, many long for fathomless faith and measured contemplation. This remarkable book will prompt some profound soul-searching for all who take time to dwell on its' message. The engaging reflections that each author provides will surely lead to a renewed vocation - to go deeper with God in the shallows of our time.' -- Martyn Percy, Dean, Christ Church, Oxford
Other products in this Category
Liturgy with a Difference
How to Understand the Liturgy
Prayer and Preaching
The Language of Liturgy
How to Understand the Creed
Worship That Cares
The Eucharistic Faith
Every Day God
Beyond Common Worship
A Preacher's Tale
Alive to the Word