discipleship, creed & ethics
Available for pre-order. Publication date: 30/12/2019.
Enter your email address below and we will email you when the item comes into stock.
What difference does worship make to the way we live? How can the things we do and say in Church impact our lives and shape the decisions we make on a daily basis? What kind of life is implied for people who believe the things that Christians believe?
"Faithful Living" attempts to think through these questions and considers the formational impact worship can have on Christian ethics, and therefore on the lives of Christian disciples.
Focusing on one of the Church's liturgical practises, reciting the Nicene Creed, the book offers an ethical commentary on the Creed's key ideas and themes, challenging Christians from all traditions to think through their faith in order to live faith-fully before God. Each chapter addresses one clause from the Creed, attending to its theology before turning to the ethical implications associated with it.
Topics covered include:
*life and death
The book concludes with a chapter on the importance of theology and worship for Christian ethical reasoning and a challenge for local churches to help their congregations to put our common faith into practise.
Nicene Creed 8
1. Ethics by Implication 9
2. ‘We Believe in God’: Community and Morality 29
3. ‘Maker of Heaven and Earth’: Consuming Our Fellow Creatures 51
4. ‘In One Lord, Jesus Christ’: Political Responsibility 75
5. ‘Conceived of the Holy Spirit, Born of the Virgin Mary’:
Disability and Humanity 95
6. ‘Suffered Death and was Buried’: Suffering 116
7. ‘On the Third Day He Rose Again’: Hope and Moral Vision 132
8. ‘The Lord and Giver of Life’: The Holy Spirit and the Christian Life 148
9. ‘Communion of Saints, Forgiveness of Sins’: The Church and Practical Catechesis 165
Index of Biblical References
Index of Names and Subjects
Other products in this Category
Preaching the New Testament
Meaning of it All in Everyday Speech
Christianity in a Post-atheist Age
How to Understand the Creed
Ethics of Hope
Concilium 1998/2 The Ethics of Genetic Engineering
A Preacher's Tale
Liberation Theology and Sexuality
Finding a Voice
A Rite on the Edge
Theology, Psychoanalysis and Trauma