Updating Basket....

Sign In
0 Items

BASKET SUMMARY

There are currently no items added to the basket
Sign In
0 Items

BASKET SUMMARY

There are currently no items added to the basket

Story of the ‘Domus Dei' of Portsmouth

Commonly Called the Royal Garrison Church

Story of the ‘Domus Dei' of Portsmouth

Commonly Called the Royal Garrison Church

This item is a print on demand title and will be dispatched in 1-3 weeks.

Paperback / softback

£27.00

Publisher: Cambridge University Press
ISBN: 9781108044622
Number of Pages: 282
Published: 23/02/2012
Width: 14 cm
Height: 21.6 cm
The 'Domus Dei', otherwise known as the Garrison Church, in Portsmouth is a familiar landmark to ships sailing into and out of Portsmouth Harbour. It was originally founded about 1210 as a 'hospital' for travellers - especially pilgrims - arriving at the port. After the Reformation its main building became a church, and was frequently used by naval and army personnel before embarkation. In 1814 the sovereigns and leaders of the Allies against Napoleon gathered there during the peace celebrations following his abdication, but by the middle of the century it had become dilapidated. A restoration project was begun in 1865, and this history of the building was published in 1873 by Henry P. Wright, 'chaplain to the Forces', with the intention of raising further donations towards the refurbishment, which he describes in detail. The church was severely damaged by bombing in 1941, but remains consecrated and is occasionally used for services.
Preface; 1. The 'Domus Dei', historical sketch of; 2. The restoration of the 'Domus Dei'; The Restored Church: 3. Its gifts and its memorials; 4. The altar; 5. The organ; 6. Memorial stalls; 7. Memorial windows; 8. Funeral tables; 9. The lectern; 10. The pulpit; 11. Old colours of regiments; 12. Wardens or Masters of the 'Domus Dei'; 13. Old documents relating to the 'Domus Dei'; 14. The 'Domus Dei' and the fortifications of Portsmouth; Notes.

Henry Press Wright