Introducing World Christianity
This item is available to order.
Please allow 2-3 weeks for delivery.
Paperback / softback
Publisher: John Wiley and Sons Ltd
Number of Pages: 296
Width: 18.5 cm
Height: 24.1 cm
This interdisciplinary introduction offers students a truly global overview of the worldwide spread and impact of Christianity. It is enriched throughout by detailed historic and ethnographic material, showing how broad themes within Christianity have been adopted and adapted by Christian denominations within each major region of the world.
- Provides a comprehensive overview of the spread and impact of world Christianity
- Contains studies from every major region of the world, including Africa, Asia, Latin America, the North Atlantic, and Oceania
- Brings together an international team of contributors from history, sociology, and anthropology, as well as religious studies
- Examines the significant social, cultural, and political transformations in contemporary societies brought about through the influence of Christianity
- Discusses Protestant, Evangelical, Catholic, and Orthodox forms of the faith
- Features useful maps and illustrations
- Combines broader discussions with detailed regional analysis, creating an invaluable introduction to world Christianity
"This volume acknowledges the polycentric nature of Christian ecumene. It combines historical breadth and sociological depth. ...With its rich variety of research methods, writing styles, and case studies, this volume is a welcome addition to the field of world Christianity and could be a valuable reference book both to experts and lay readers." (Mission Studies, 2013) "Any scholar wanting background information on Christianity in any region of the world will find this book very helpful." (Ecclesiastical History, 1 July 2013) "I do think, however, there is some merit in understanding how the world views Christianity at large. Because of that, I do recommend this resource with the qualification that the reader realize that this book is painting with extremely large strokes the Christian faith." (Christian Book Notes, 1 July 2013) "It should prove to be a valuable resource for both classroom and specialist use. Summing Up: Recommended. Upper-level undergraduates through researchers/faculty." (Choice, 1 October 2012)