London's Church House, a Listed building in the heart of Westminster, contains the headquarters of the Church of England and was designed in the 1930s.
Nobody knows for sure when Church House Bookshop actually came into being but we do know that meetings were being held as early as 1936 to discuss the desirability of including a bookshop within the new building. On this basis, it seems likely that the shop may have opened as early as 1940 when King George VI officially opened the newly-completed Church House.
More recent developments have seen the shop change ownership when, in 2006, the Archbishops' Council agreed to the transfer of Church House Bookshop to Hymns Ancient & Modern Ltd, a registered charity and the publishing group responsible for - amongst other things - SCM Press, Canterbury Press and the Church Times. Despite the transfer to Hymns A&M the shop retains its proud position as the 'Official Bookshop of the Church of England'.
Throughout all the changes and developments of over 70 years, Church House Bookshop has served and continues to serve Christians of all denominations throughout London and the rest of the UK - while our website has allowed us to reach an ever-expanding global customer-base.