Truth and the Church in a Secular Age
This item is in stock and will be dispatched within 48 hours.
More than 50 units in stock.
This eBook is available for download by customers in the UK and selected other countries.
Check if this eBook is available in your region
Together, the collection of essays in this volume seek to explore the place of Christianity, the Church and their claims to uphold the truth in an age of `post-truth'.
Beginning with a consideration of truth within the biblical tradition, the chapters come from historical, theological and philosophical starting points in their concerns, setting out the groundwork for discussions of Christian truth and science, prayer, ethics and the liturgy.
Questions for discussion follow each chapter.
Foreword by the Most Revd Mark Strange
David Jasper and Jenny Wright
1. Truth and the Biblical Tradition
2. The Origins of Truth in Philosophy, Theology, and Theory
3. Seeing As: Wittgenstein’s Approach to Truth
4. Truth and Christian Theology
5. Tangling the Fibres of the Threefold Cord: Truth and the Anglican Tradition
6. Liturgy as a Repository of Truth
John Reuben Davies
7. Truth and Experience: Prayer and Ascetic Practice
8. Rudolf Otto: Truth and the Holy
9. Truth, Non-Truth and Reality in the Pastoral Context
Robert A. Gillies
10. Sciences and Truth: A Scientist’s View
11. Sciences and Truths: A Theologian’s View
12. Today’s Church and the Politics of Post-Truth
Index of Biblical References
Index of Names and Subjects
“As a Christian I am confronted by those who ask me to tell them the truth about faith, while they are being bombarded by theory wrapped up as truth, I find it, at times, frustrating and difficult. I am therefore very thankful for this book which I hope will enable more of us to be able to discern the truth revealed in our faith.” -- Most Revd. Mark Strange, Bishop of Moray, Ross and Caithness and Primus of the Scottish Episcopal Church
Other products in this Category
Meaning of Persons
I Believe, I Doubt
On Talking with Christians
Poet, the Warrior, the Prophet
A Redemption Song
Beyond Liberation Theology
Theology, Church and Ministry
Public Face of the Gospel
Controversies in Feminist Theologies
The Truth is the Way