A Bible commentary with a difference, Words That Listen provides readings from world literature to accompany every Gospel passage of the Revised Common Lectionary for Years A, B and C.
For each Sunday Gospel reading, it offers four extracts, with commentary, from fiction, nonfiction, poems, great speeches and sacred texts, to plays, television and film scripts, social commentaries, and theologians past and present.
Authors featured include:
* writers from the classical Christian tradition, from Origen to Rowan Williams
* many literary greats, including Dante, Shakespeare, Tolstoy, Emily Bronte, T. S. Eliot, Virginia Woolf and Oscar Wilde
* recent and contemporary poets: U. A. Fanthorpe, Seamus Heaney, Mary Oliver, Wendell Berry and Malcolm Guite
* modern novelists and writers: P D James, Annie Dillard, Maya Angelou, Stephen King and Marilynne Robinson
* filmmakers and screenwriters: Martin Scorcese, George Lucas, Steven Spielberg
* songwriters and musicians: Leonard Cohen, U2, Led Zeppelin and Lady Gaga
* paintings from leading artists that illuminate biblical events and encounters.
Bound in two paperback volumes in a slipcase, Words That Listen brings together the worlds of art and faith to offer a unique resource for all who preach.
DNA of Pioneer Ministry
Truth and the Church in a Secular Age
Renewing the Face of the Earth
Calling On the Spirit in Unsettling Times
Women and Men in Scripture and the Church
Church in Wales - Daily Prayer
New English Praise
Christ and Culture
The Bible in Worship
Dreams and Spirituality
Other products in this Category
Word of Truth
The Word of the Lord Year A
The Word of the Lord Year C
Word of the Lord
Prayers for an Inclusive Church
Come to the Feast
The Word is Very Near You: Feasts and Festivals
The Good Worship Guide
Celebrating the Christian Year
Celebrating the Christian Year - Volume 1
Word in Our Time