You are required to change your password before you can log in to the site, please enter your new password in the fields below:
Wed 19 Sep 2018 @ 13:54
RT @HymnsAModernPart of the @CHBookshop pop up shop at @sacredspace2018 @engcathedrals. Speaker books and more. Come and see us if… https://t.co/uSFcRGqr4n
Author(s): Ian Markham, J. Barney Hawkins, Mark Oakley
A Bible commentary with a difference, Words That Listen provides readings from world literature to accompany every Gospel passage of the Revised Common Lectionary for Years A, B and C.
For each Sunday Gospel reading, it offers four extracts, with commentary, from fiction, nonfiction, poems, great speeches and sacred texts, to plays, television and film scripts, social commentaries, and theologians past and present.
Authors featured include:
* writers from the classical Christian tradition, from Origen to Rowan Williams
* many literary greats, including Dante, Shakespeare, Tolstoy, Emily Bronte, T. S. Eliot, Virginia Woolf and Oscar Wilde
* recent and contemporary poets: U. A. Fanthorpe, Seamus Heaney, Mary Oliver, Wendell Berry and Malcolm Guite
* modern novelists and writers: P D James, Annie Dillard, Maya Angelou, Stephen King and Marilynne Robinson
* filmmakers and screenwriters: Martin Scorcese, George Lucas, Steven Spielberg
* songwriters and musicians: Leonard Cohen, U2, Led Zeppelin and Lady Gaga
* paintings from leading artists that illuminate biblical events and encounters.
Bound in two paperback volumes in a slipcase, Words That Listen brings together the worlds of art and faith to offer a unique resource for all who preach.
Ian Markham is Principal of Virginia Theological Seminary. J Barney Hawkins is Vice President for Institutional Advancement and Professor in Pastoral Theology and Continuing Education at Virginia Theological Seminary. Mark Oakley is Canon Chancellor of St Paul's Cathedral.
Not arrived yet. Paid for but not delivered. Becomes available whilst I am out of the country for five weeks. May buy the American version which has been available for months. This product is definitely not up to expectations. Very poor.
Good book. -- what I wanted and ordered