Words That Listen
A Literary Companion to the Lectionary
This item is in stock and will be dispatched within 48 hours.
More than 50 units in stock.
A Bible commentary with a difference, Words That Listen provides readings from world literature to accompany every Gospel passage of the Revised Common Lectionary for Years A, B and C.
For each Sunday Gospel reading, it offers four extracts, with commentary, from fiction, nonfiction, poems, great speeches and sacred texts, to plays, television and film scripts, social commentaries, and theologians past and present.
Authors featured include:
* writers from the classical Christian tradition, from Origen to Rowan Williams
* many literary greats, including Dante, Shakespeare, Tolstoy, Emily Bronte, T. S. Eliot, Virginia Woolf and Oscar Wilde
* recent and contemporary poets: U. A. Fanthorpe, Seamus Heaney, Mary Oliver, Wendell Berry and Malcolm Guite
* modern novelists and writers: P D James, Annie Dillard, Maya Angelou, Stephen King and Marilynne Robinson
* filmmakers and screenwriters: Martin Scorcese, George Lucas, Steven Spielberg
* songwriters and musicians: Leonard Cohen, U2, Led Zeppelin and Lady Gaga
* paintings from leading artists that illuminate biblical events and encounters.
Bound in two paperback volumes in a slipcase, Words That Listen brings together the worlds of art and faith to offer a unique resource for all who preach.
World According to Theologygrams
Evelyn Underhill's Prayer Book
Words for a Dying World
Faith, Hope and Mischief
The Place of the Parish
For the Good of the Church
Words That Listen
10 Second Sermons
Other products in this Category
The Good Worship Guide
Word of Promise
The Daily Prayer Rosary
Word of Truth
Celebrating the Christian Year - Volume 3
Word of the Lord: Year B
Come to the Feast
The Word of the Lord Year A
Word in Our Time
Prayers for an Inclusive Church