Talking About God in Practice
Theological Action Research and Practical Theology
This item is in stock and will be dispatched within 48 hours.
More than 50 units in stock.
Talking about God in Practice details the challenges and complexities of real theological conversations with practitioners, whilst providing an example of appropriate process, and a model of theological understanding by which to negotiate these complexities fruitfully.
Drawing on, and adapting, action research methods, this process enables researchers with practitioners to access ‘implicit’ theologies, embedded within practices. The disclosure of the theology borne by practice enables a fresh and often exciting insight for all concerned, which leads to renewal of both practice and theology.
The “Theological Action Research” process offers effective and mutually constructive ways of engaging practitioners and ‘academics’ in authentic research partnerships, contributing to the proper rootedness of theological scholarship, and to capacity building among practitioners for further, self-led research, reflection, and theologizing.
Part 1: The Problem and Emerging Responses
1. The Problem of Talking about God in Practice
2. Practical Theology as a Response
3. Action Research as a Response
Part 2: A Fresh Response
4. Characteristics of Theological Action Research
Part 3: Theological Action Research: The Process Explained
5. What Is Theological Action Research?
6. Who Do We Need to Be to Do Theological Action Research?
7. Setting up Theological Action Research
8. Doing Theological Action Research
9. Reflection Leading to Renewed Practice and Theology
Part 4: Worked Examples of Theological Action Research
10. Theological Action Research in a Parish
11. Theological Action Research in a Diocese
12. Theological Action Research with a Faith-Based Agency
Part 5: Theological Action Research: An Initial Evaluation
13. Evaluating Theological Action Research: Learning Points in Theology and Method
"Far from being choppy, this team-based approach to theological writing has produced a clear, smooth, and approachable text. This is an excellent theological approach for researchers, church leaders, and both graduate and undergraduate students to explore, which advances earlier see-judge-act models." - The Reverend Jonathan C. Roach.
Other products in this Category
Inquiring After God
Theological Reflection for Human Flourishing
Theology's Strange Return
Angels and Demons
Understanding World Christianity
Word of God at Vatican II
Faith Seeking Understanding
Intellectual World of C. S. Lewis
The City of God
Feminine Genius of Catholic Theology